Wednesday, November 5, 2014

French Onion Soup

Hot or cold. Summer or winter.

I  LOVE soup.

French onion is not only delicious and easy to make. But low on the calories too.
...
I topped mine tonight with Ezekiel bread because it was the only bread I had available. Was DIVINE.

French Onion Soup

4-5 sweet onions sliced
5 tbsp organic butter
3 garlic cloves minced
3/4 cup red wine (I always just use whatever we have on hand)
4 cups or preferably homemade chicken or beef stock. Or organic free range.
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped

1. I like to make in a cast iron soup pot. Melt butter and add onions and garlic. Cook about 30 minutes. Stirring frequently till slightly caramelized.
2. Add wine, stock, thyme and salt. Simmer on medium for about 30-45 minutes.
3. Serve in ramekins topped with crusty bread and freshly grated gruyere cheese. Put in oven to toast bread and melt cheese. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment