Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Shrimp and Grits

While I have lived in Alabama longer than any other place, I am not sure I am considered truly "Southern", even though all of my extended family laughs hysterically at my accent and mannerisms. Not long ago someone asked if I was from Southern California. Funny how some things never leave your dialect. My husband says he married me for a good branch in his family tree. Literally. No relation and nothing like his family.

This weekend I had family in from out of town. Originally Southern California and now retired to Colorado. It was only fitting I made them a true Alabama dish.

Shrimp and Grits

1 lb peeled Alabama shrimp (deveined if preferred)
5 pieces of all natural bacon
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
3 fresh garlic cloves
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Green onion tops for garnish

1. Cook bacon in skillet on stove. Remove from pan when done.
2. Add olive oil, garlic and green onions to bacon drippings. After about 2 minutes add tomatoes.
3. Lastly shrimp and bacon and cook till shrimp are done. Squeeze lemon juice over all.

Grits

2 cups of homemade chicken stock or broth
2 cups organic half and half
2 tbsp organic butter
1 1/3 cup stone ground grits
1 cup fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Bring stock, butter and cream to a boil. Add grits stirring constantly. Slowly add cheese. Serve immediately.

Top grits with shrimp mixture and garnish with green onion tops. Literally takes about 25-30 minutes for a amazing Southern dish. Add a little hot sauce if preferred

No comments:

Post a Comment